Recently it was brought to our attention by a fellow photo nerd in our community that Lightroom CC 2015.8/Lightroom 6.8, you are unable to back up your catalog when exiting the application. This only seems to be a problem with the versions described and Adobe is aware of the issue. With that said, we are hopeful that in an upcoming Lightroom update this will be resolved, however, in the meanwhile here is what you should know.
In Lightroom CC 2015.8/Lightroom 6.8, you are unable to back up your catalog when exiting the application.
Lightroom CC 2015.8/Lightroom 6.8
Windows and macOS
On Windows, Lightroom displays the Error message as follows: Lightroom was unable to back up the catalog named “<Your catalog’s filename>”.Please check your folder permissions and make sure you have available space on your backup drive and main catalog’s drive.
On macOS, Lightroom displays the Error message as follows: Catalog size is more than 4 GB.Your catalog size is larger than 4 GB. Please use a 3rd party utility such as 7-zip or StuffItExpander to extract your catalog backup.
To resolve these issues on Windows and macOS, follow the workaround steps mentioned below:
- Launch Lightroom.
- Depending on your operating system,
- (Win) Choose Edit menu > Preferences.
- (Mac) Choose Lightroom > Preferences.
- When the Preferences dialog appears, select the Presets tab.
- In the Presets tab, click the Show Lightroom Presets Folder button. Lightroom opens the root preset folder in the File Explorer (Win)/Finder (Mac).
- In the File Explorer (Win)/Finder (Mac), navigate to the Lightroom folder.
- Go to Adobe Creative Cloud and download the config.lua file. Copy the downloaded config.lua file into the Lightroom folder mentioned in Step 5.
- This config.lua file will reconfigure the old backup behavior in Lightroom.
- Relaunch Lightroom.
- You should be able to back up your catalog now.